At this point of the year, it's hard to go anywhere without hearing people coughing, sneezing and blowing their nose. Catching a cold is annoying, but to the young, old or those with chronic health issues, it can develop into something more serious. The flu reaches epidemic levels typically around this time, and that can be deadly. Nobody wants to be sick, so follow some of these tips to stay healthy.
- Get a flu shot. It doesn't guarantee you won't get the flu, but it lowers your chances significantly.
- Wash your hands a lot. Not just before eating and after using the bathroom. Do it often. Use soap, water and scrub for at least 20 seconds.
- Carry hand sanitizer and use it when a sink is unavailable.
- Disinfect high traffic areas such as light switches, doorknobs and faucets at least once a day.
- Try to avoid being around people who aren't feeling well.
- Get enough rest. If you're worn down, you increase your chances of catching something.
- Eat well. Remember food is fuel for your body. Try to eat foods that will keep your body running at its healthiest.
- Drink a lot of water. Dehydration makes you more susceptible.
- Limit sugar. Sugar compromises the immune system. Try to eat sweets in moderation, and if you feel like you're coming down with something, eliminate sweets altogether.
- Take vitamins. These can be controversial, but in most cases there is no harm in boosting your strength with a multi-vitamin. Many people swear by zinc or Vitamin C supplements to power up the immune system.
Many think that catching a cold or flu is inevitable, but it is possible to get through the winter without suffering. If you do come down with something and feel like you're not improving after a few days, contact your doctor. And ask your independent insurance agent about affordable health insurance options.
We’ll be your partner in good health. Call Integrity Network Insurance Group at (512) 989-6006 for more information on health insurance in Round Rock.